Accreditation would be the most important approach for increasing quality and ensuring patient safety in eye care facilities, which are an essential component of the healthcare system. In such facilities, an emphasis on quality and patient safety is necessary because adverse incidents, such as post-surgical infection rates in eye surgery, are fairly common. The quality of services in these types of settings is improved by adherence to accreditation criteria, which results in positive clinical outcomes.
Organizations that provide eye care should be safe spaces for everyone involved—staff, patients, and other parties. Governmental entities, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), insurance companies, and professional organizations that represent patients and healthcare workers are all very interested in the quality and patient safety at eye care facilities. The goal of accreditation is to establish standards of quality and safety. Organisations that provide eye care are encouraged to strive for ongoing excellence by accreditation.
The social, economic, and technological environment in which India’s health system currently operates is undergoing a fast transformation. Concern for patient safety and quality of care is heightened by these changes. The most crucial strategy for increasing hospitals’ quality would be accreditation. Accreditation is a motivator for national eye care organizations to increase their capacity to deliver high-quality care and guarantee patient safety. The national certification program makes sure that eye care facilities, both public and private, fulfill their expected functions within the healthcare system.
The standards for eye care organizations were introduced in September 2016. Initially, the SHCO program was used to consider eye hospitals for NABH accreditation; however, as time went on, it became apparent that the majority of the NABH standards related to SHCO did not apply to eye care organizations due to specific compliance requirements, clinical process requirements, eye care organization NABH documents, structures, manpower planning requirements, and equipment management requirements. Good clinical results, highlighting the best clinical practices, analyzing the data for quality improvement, overcoming liabilities through risk management, and risk reduction are a few of the main advantages.
A clinic or hospital with an exclusive eye care facility that wants to receive accreditation from an eye care organization must make sure that eye care standards are applied across the entire organization. The evaluation team searches for signs of the organization’s adherence to the Eyecare Standards. The ECO needs to be able to demonstrate to the NABH evaluation team that all Eye Care standards, as necessary, are adhered to. The eligibility for applying for eye care organization accreditation is listed here:
- Currently operating as Eye Care Organisation
- The Eye Care Organisation should have been using NABH standards for at least three months
- The organization that commits to complying with NABH standards as well as applicable legal/statutory/regulatory obligations
An eye care organization accreditation may benefit in many ways, including in terms of the organization itself as well as in terms of the patients, staff, and many other ways. Here are mentioned some of the accreditation benefits:
Accreditation benefits for patients
- Among all the stakeholders, patients stand to gain the most
- Patient safety and high-quality care are the results of accreditation
- Medical professionals with qualifications provide care for patients
- The rights of patients are protected and safeguarded. Regular assessments are made of patient satisfaction
Benefits for Organization
- Continuous improvement is encouraged through accreditation to an organization for eye care
- The best clinical outcomes are ensured by the organization’s ability to demonstrate a commitment to high-quality care and patient safety
- As services are delivered by qualified medical staff, it increases community confidence in the Eye Care Organization’s services
- Additionally, it gives the healthcare facility a chance to compare itself to the finest
- An accreditation designation offers a marketing benefit in the competitive industry
Benefits for Staff
- Accredited Eye Care Organization’s staff members are satisfied a lot because it gives opportunities for continual growth, a pleasant working environment, and leadership.
- In an authorized Eye Care Organisation, staff productivity, and skills are also increased.
- Overall professional growth, knowledge, and competencies are improved methodically with clear ownership and accountability for all staff members, including medical and paramedical employees.
Finally, accreditation offers a method of empanelment by insurance companies and other third parties that is objective. Access to trustworthy and verified information on facilities, infrastructure, and care standards is made possible by accreditation.